Saturday, December 4, 2010

Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Nut Muffins

I like to make muffins, because, well, I like cake.

And what else is a muffin but a round little, hand holdable cake. For years I used Mollie Katzen's Sunlight Cafe for all my muffin recipes. She offers multiple versions: fruit and grain and chocolate and ricotta. And she adds all kinds of protein and nutrient boosters. This makes me feel better about making myself 12-14 small cakes (the husband usually only eats 1-2 muffins and is through with them). The only issue with Sunlight's muffins is that they tend to be a bit heavy and short as all whole grain baked goods are want to do.


Anyway, as I peruse my cooking magazines (I get about 3 a month and I read them cover to cover immediately, sometimes on the way from the mailbox to my house), I will always stop to consider a muffin recipe.

This week, with three bananas ripening towards liquification, I searched out a muffin recipe for these tropical babies. I remembered a quick bread section in an old Eating Well issue.

The results were just fine. I would say on the rather bland side. They needed a tad more salt and maybe more sugar?? The other problem is that healthful muffins usually call for considerable amount of leavening to get those whole flours off the ground. And alas, they taste like it, a bit chemically. I wonder why I don't just make a full on fat and sugar muffin. I mean I'm looking to eat cake right? Why the hell not bake cake and eat cake, rather than live with some ersatz cakesque health bun? Oh postmodern life, how you taunt me.

2 comments:

Zoe said...

Oh how I love you.

Maria said...

Don't get too excited,my lady. Let's see if this actually becomes a trend, one entry a year a blog does not make.